It might sound trite, but I’m thankful for Thanksgiving. I am grateful that I have a day in my life devoted to remembering how much I have and how freely I am given the things that really matter.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.
— Albert Schweitzer
- I’m thankful that when I got back from the airport mad depressed and disappointed I had a warm and inviting home to sprawl out in. I am not so naive as to think that when other people have bad days they have a wonderful place to lay their head down.
- I am thankful for the plethora of invites to Thanksgiving dinner that rolled in the second it was discovered that I’d be spending the holiday state side.
- I am overwhelmed by my ‘urban family’ of friends who take me into their homes and their lives. They pull me in and love me no matter how quirky or odd I am.
- I’m thankful for my roommate who leaves me notes of encouragement and warm cookies on the kitchen table. It is a relief to come home to someone who is always fun and positive to chat with after a long day of drawing robots.
- My clients and the projects I’m handed offer me the chance I have to live my life as an artist in New York City, a rare and marvelous gift.
- I am thankful for great music, good books and sunny Fall weather – things that make every bad thing seem better.
- In this time of uncertainty and fear in the world I am thankful for Brooklyn, for the inspiration it provides me and for the way it makes me happy to be alive.
- I am indebted to my kooky family. They are among those rare kind of families who are truly and unconditionally there for one another. They make me laugh when I want to cry and vice-versa. I can’t believe I get to call them mine.
- I am grateful that I have lived my life in the best of two places. I would most certainly have a much different outlook if my parents hadn’t decided to raise me on the edge of reality, nestled against the coast of the Pacific Ocean. I won’t ever be able to understand how or why I was handed such a blissful and perfect childhood.
- I am always thankful and will forever be grateful I am an American.
- And on this day of days I am thankful for potatoes, mashed and otherwise.
- I am thankful for you.
I’m grateful for long and flourishing beautiful Autumn days and for the wild fire of sparks in my life that kindle a flame inside of me. It’s amazing how lucky I am. Happy Thanksgiving, my loves.